Database Manager – DB2
Job Reference: DMSL/15735CB
Salary: Â£65000 - Â£75000 Per Annum + £5250 Car Allowance and Bonus
Salary per: Annum
Job Start Date:
Vacancy Posted: 11-10-2018
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Clapham, England, Greater London
Database Manager required for a leading financial client in South West London joining our clients IT Service Operations Team
This role is a hands-on Database Administrator role with technical lead and team management responsibilities.
The role is varied and would encompass Product and Infrastructure related trouble shooting as well as direct engagement with project delivery teams and on-call support. As technical lead, the role requires keeping up to date with new technologies and setting technical direction, devising standards and policies for the team to follow. Team management duties involve planning, setting and prioritising workloads and ensuring quality and timely delivery along with continuous support.
* Ensure members of the Database team provide a high quality, professional and responsive support service to customers (internal and external)
* Log, troubleshoot and resolve support requests, working with third-party suppliers as appropriate. Ensure the team is resolving support requests in a timely manner to a high standard.
* Work with the internal infrastructure or software development teams to resolve issues and provide technical advice on optimal use of database software. Set technical direction on the use, configuration and support of database software and liaise with associated teams.
* Liaise with tool owners to suggest improvements.
* Work with the architecture team to provide technical advice on design best-practice, exploiting features of the database software and assist in the evaluation of solutions. Keep abreast of new technologies and act as an SME resource.
* Establish the needs of the users and monitor user access and security, controlling access permissions and privileges. Work with IT Security and other IT and business teams to devise security models which meet requirements.
* Ensure the quality, integrity and availability of data in the supported systems for the business across the estate, from development to production. Put procedures and mechanisms in place to support this.
* Monitor database performance, identify opportunities for improvement and manage the implementation of any solutions via established processes to provide fast responses to front end users and utilise system resources effectively.
* Member of Disaster Recovery team (This will occasionally require flexibility in working hours). Help to devise and ensure functionality of disaster recovery plans.
The Ideal Candidate
* Good knowledge of DB2 and SQL Server database installation and support
* Proven background in DB2 DBA and SQL Server DBA roles performing DB2 / SQL installation design, development and deployment, Change/version control, Database Admin tasks (Backup and Restore, DB Optimisation, tuning, Capacity Management)
* Competent at writing/building scripted applications, stored procedures, triggers etc.
* Broad troubleshooting skills related to: databases, job/script management, performance tuning etc.
* Experienced in problem tracking, incident management and change management processes/systems
* Be a team player in working with and supporting colleagues in own and other teams
* Ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts, both verbally and in writing
* Windows server, AIX or other UNIX/Linux Operating Systems in an enterprise environment
* DB2 LUW and SQL Server product family
* DB2 HADR, SQL mirroring/AlwaysOn Availability groups and other HA technologies
* Development/maintenance tools including CLP, SQL PL, Korn Shell scripting, IBM Data Studio, SSMS, Idera, Solarwinds
* Database failover and DR setup
* Extensive Windows, AIX or other UNIX/Linux operating systems exposure in an enterprise environment
* Experience in team management or leadership role of a technical team
* Ability to design, develop and implement large DB2 and SQL Server installations (desirable)
Great company culture with fresh fruit deliveries, free tea & coffee and table football tables on each floor, Competitive salary, car allowance and discretionary bonus, Contributory Pension Scheme, 25 days annual leave, Life Assurance (4 x salary), Cycle To Work Scheme (bike & cycling equipment worth up to £1,000), Corporate Discount (up to 50% discount) and many more
Due to the volume of applications received for positions, it will not be possible to respond to all applications and only applicants who are considered suitable for interview will be contacted.
Proactive Appointments Limited operates as an employment agency and employment business and is an equal opportunities organisation
We take our obligations to protect your personal data very seriously. Any information provided to us will be processed as detailed in our Privacy Notice, a copy of which can be found on our website http://proactive.it/privacy-notice/
Proactive Appointments Limited take our obligations to protect your personal data very seriously. Any information you provide to us as part of your application for this vacancy will only be processed as detailed in our Privacy Notice. If you have any questions or would like further information please email GDPR@proactive.it.