Senior Database Administrator – PostGres
Job Reference: PDBAL/29101
Salary: Â£75000 - Â£100000 Per Annum Excellent Benefits
Salary per: Annum
Job Start Date:
Vacancy Posted: 29-01-2018
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: England, Greater London, London
Senior Database Administrator PostGres required for a leading financial client in London.
Senior Database Administrator required to work within the Database support team, which support the bank’s clearing systems. The role is responsible for Database management of the Clearing applications utilising MS SQL,PostGres (Enterprise DB PAS) and Oracle DB technologies including performing, administration, configuration, installation, maintenance, tuning, and support of the database, environments.
* Responsible for ensuring availability and performance of the Database environments resources for the Database environment are configured for optimum performance and availability
* Proactively monitors database environment to ensure minimum downtime
* Provides regular trend analysis to track database performance and throughput, for capacity planning purposes.
* Responsible for enhancements, maintenance and upgrades to the database environment.
* Works with business, architecture, development and technical colleagues to manage and implement changes
* Carries out analysis of potential hardware problems prior to contacting third-party support.
* Escalates problems to third-party support when necessary – acting as a point of contact.
* Analyses and resolves problems when they arise providing details of the resolution in the call logging system. Liaises with users to ensure fast and satisfactory problems resolution.
* Develops automated housekeeping and monitoring/alerting tasks to reduce the need for manual intervention. Investigates and develops methods for performance optimisation and the prevention of recurring problems.
* Ensures all system and application changes are approved via the appropriate Change Control methods.
* Develop and maintain runbooks for High Availability and Disaster Recovery tests and is responsible for planning and running these tests.
* Handle the implementation of the bank’s business applications running in development, test and production environments. This will include installation of applications, releases and patch management as well as upgrades.
* Work with the architecture team to provide technical expertise to define and implement a global infrastructure to support existing and future projects
* Keep up to date with existing and emerging technologies and integrate with the development/architecture teams of their suitability for use
Knowledge and experience required
* Experience of implementing and supporting Oracle, MS SQL & PostGres databases in
* high availability solutions
* Understanding of and adherence to ITIL Change control procedures.
* Must have a strong understanding of the architectural and operational complexities of
* solutions deployed within a MS SQL, PostGres and Oracle environment with hands on
* experience of many of the following technologies
* Performing administration, configuration, installation, maintenance, tuning, support and
* undertake troubleshooting of the database environments
* Capacity Management (proactive housekeeping/archiving)
* Managing Backups, Disaster Recovery and High Availabilty of the database
* Support software developers with database operations including the support of SQL,
* creation of stored proceudres etc
* Knowledge of Continuous Intergration (eg.. Chef)
* Strong knowledge of Active Directory, VM Ware, Red Hat Linux
* Knowledge of Storage (SAN/NAS/DAS)
* Knowledge of clustering & network technologies
Due to the volume of applications received for positions it will not be possible to respond to all applications and only applicants who are considered suitable for interview will be contacted.
Proactive Appointments Limited operates as an employment agency and employment business and is an equal opportunities organisation